Kenneth Raposa’s article “BRICS Summit 2011: Why Americans Shouldn’t Fear this New “Superpower” was published on Forbes.com on April 13, 2011. Forbes’ slogan is “Information for the World’s Business Leaders”. This shows that the article was published to be read by people in business and possibly people from all over the world. When reading the text of the article it is evident that the author assumes that his reader has a basic understanding of business and economics. I would also assume that Forbes is written to a generally more conservative and pro-business group of readers. The article/publication’s largest reader group is most likely middle to upper class and middle aged, 30-50. Also it is likely that this is a well-educated audience that keeps up-to-date on current political and economic activities. Also we could infer that a majority of readers live in urban centers.
I think that you did a good job at finding out the background information for the entire newspaper. One thing I would maybe suggest doing is find out why this article was important at this time, what the events were that were happening that caused the author to write this, and also find who exactly this specific article pertains to.
ReplyDeleteI as well did this same analysis, in which I also saw that they obviously target businesses and such. Possibly getting a little bit more information about the magazine/publisher and possibly seeing other worldwide events were taking place during the same time period to see whether world events had some type of influence on the author writing this article. Overall the analysis was excellent.
ReplyDeleteGood Job on the analysis. I liked the way you defined the magazine's demographic. I would maybe have researched a little more about the author, to see what else he has written about. I also agree with the other comments in that maybe you could research more about why he wrote on this subject at that time; what world events were going on that made this article relevant. Good work though, keep it up!
ReplyDelete