When America was founded the issue of the day was the idea that all men are created equal and that they have unalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Today we are still arguing about those rights. What did our nation’s founders mean when they said men were created equal? What do our rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness include? Are those rights given to us by our government or by God? Are we even allowed to talk about God? With the economic recession of recent, a class war has begun in which the lower class feels unjustly treated by the upper class. Many Americans are calling for a redistribution of wealth through government intervention. This raises a number of issues that I will address in my research. What right does the government have to the private property of individuals? Is there a constitutional basis for a marginal tax system? Is redistribution of wealth the answer for solving our economic woes, or unconstitutional? With answers to these questions we can know how to better vote and help our nation move toward economic prosperity again.
Resources:
This sounds like an interesting topic. Good luck in your research. I think it would be very interesting to hear some quotes from the founding fathers backing your arguments on wealth distribution, etc.
ReplyDeleteThis should be an enlightening topic for a lot of people, because I think the main argument of the "99%" is fueled by emotion and not by logic or research. I hope I can read your paper so that I can get a better perspective on it and look at your sources myself. I hope you can give some context of when the Occupy Wall Street movement started and under what circumstances, and maybe get a few quotes from its leaders into your counterarguments. Good luck.
ReplyDelete